Egypt Hosts Africa Cup of Nations
Posted by: Louise Koncowski, Senior Communications and Content Development Specialist.
Egypt will soon host the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, which kicks-off on 21 June through to 19 July. Organised by the Confederation of African Football (CAF), the tournament will see 24 teams compete to lift the cup. Who will the winner be? Perhaps the defending champions, Cameroon will give a repeat performance. Or could Egypt be crowned the champions, having already recently won the tournament three consecutive times in 2006, 2008 and 2010.
With thousands expected to attend, the event may impact international assignees relocating during the competition, but life is expected to return to normal quickly and have no long-term impact on rental properties.
Cities Hosting the Tournament
Egypt will use six stadiums across the country to host the 32nd Africa Cup of Nations competition. These include:
- Cairo International Stadium
- 30 June Stadium (Cairo)
- Al Salam Stadium (Cairo)
- Alexandria Stadium
- Suez Stadium
- Ismalia Stadium
Tackling the Relocation Challenges
- Hotels and serviced apartments may be in high demand and at inflated prices during the tournament, so book accommodation now.
- Roads and public transportation may also be congested immediately before and after matches.
- Airports will be busy, particularly at the beginning and end of the tournament and assignees should anticipate tighter security protocols that may take longer to get through.
- If home search, school search, and look/see trips are scheduled during the tournament, ensure plenty of time is allowed for each journey.
Egypt is a frequented destination for international assignees. Rich with history and renowned for its arts and cultural treasures, it can be an interesting place to relocate to, but it does have a number of potential challenges for expatriates. These include security issues, finding a property and cultural differences. Read our latest publication on Egypt, which explores these challenges and provides best practices to overcome them.
Should you have any questions about your own relocation programme, your Cartus contact will be more than happy to help. Alternatively, you can email email@example.com.